The Saudi-led coalition’s jet fighters on Thursday launched over 28 airstrikes on various parts of Yemen despite earlier claims that it had ordered its forces halt their attacks on Yemen with the beginning of peace talks in Sweden.
“The fact that the coalition forces and their mercenaries have continued their aggression against Yemen on the first day of peace talks in Sweden indicates that the aggressors have no interest in the establishment of peace and preparing the grounds for a second round of talks,” Yemen’s Arabic-language al-Masirah television network quoted a Yemeni army general as saying.
Three women were martyred, and many houses were destroyed in the Thursday Saudi attacks, General Yahya Saree, a Spokesman of the Yemeni Armed Forces, said.
In retaliation, Yemeni army forces, backed by allied fighters from the Ansarullah Movement, hit gatherings of Saudi soldiers and Saudi-led mercenaries in the kingdom’s southwestern Jizan region on Thursday.
Using six domestically-manufactured Zelzal-1 (Quake-1) short-range missiles, they hit the enemy gatherings off Qais Mountain and the village of al-Laj in Jizan Province.
The report added that at least three Saudi-led forces had been killed and two others wounded by explosives planted by Yemeni troops in al-Nar Mount area in Jizan.
Meanwhile, al-Masirah said in a separate report that the Yemeni army had managed to shoot down a spy drone belonging to Saudi-led forces in the coasts of Yemen’s western province of Hudaydah.
Later on Thursday, the Yemeni army spokesman said that 28 Saudi-led mercenaries were killed and 64 others injured during clashes with Yemeni forces in Damt region in the southern province of Dali’.
The escalation comes as Martin Griffiths, the UN Special Envoy to Yemen, told reporters that the two sides were willing to work towards de-escalation.
Talks between the Ansarullah Movement and the Saudi-led military coalition opened on Thursday in Rimbo, Sweden, a rural area some 60 kilometers (37 miles) north of Stockholm.
They are expected to last a week, a UN official told reporters.
The meeting marks the first time warring Yemeni parties have officially met since 2016, when more than 100 days of negotiations in Kuwait yielded no breakthrough in the devastating conflict.